woensdag 17 juni 2009

Long sleeves

My baby brother his weddingday is coming up. This Friday my kidbrother will say 'I do' to the girl he has been with for over a year and I am really excited. Most peeps will say he is 2 young but he turned 21 and he is a Jehova's Whitness so I don't see any problem there.
And alltho I'm very excited that my little boy is getting married, the boy who's diapers I'd used to change, the boy who's nose I'd used to whipe, there is one thing really bothering me...
I need to wear something with long sleeves to the wedding. Not cuz I really want to but cuz I really have to. It's his day and I don't want peeps to come up to me and ask me about my scars. I know those scars belong to me, with me but on that day it will make it all so hard to explain. People will never understand why you have them, how you got them or why you would do that to yourself. They look at you like you are a freak, call you pscycho or will just plain ignore you when they see the scars. Very few will bother to ask you why, how, when, or can I help. And that is such a sad thing. Even counsolers don't understand why you do it and since it's mostly done by women they see it as sumthing to be ignored or punished. Which is nót the right way to go about it.
Momentarely the Haarlem Pscychiatric Museum has an expo about it and I really want to go and see it. It has been something that has been denied in the mental illness department for so long but it is real, it is there and it hurts.
Women have always been tought througout centuries to deal with their feelings or hurt or issues on the inside, while men have been tought to let it all out by fighting (violence). That's why most of us women turn to hurting ourselfs or not taking good care of ourself. Always putting our loved ones first.

As a result to that I am scared on the inside and out and that makes me have to wear long sleeves on my baby brothers wedding. The day that is his to shine. I might have to wear those sleeves for years to come but at least I'm working on it, till that day comes that I can wear short sleeves again.

Love.
Mx

1 opmerking:

  1. Hi Mxster,

    Very nice written. I am really moved by this piece. Keep on writing and I will keep on reading!

    X-Laila

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen